Positions of this type range from full-time administrative positions to faculty coordinator positions with significant release time. I personally favor the release time model, although it may be necessary to look at other options since some work may need to happen in the summer. ECSU proposed and advertised their position as full-time administrative, but the incumbent renegotiated for full-time faculty with 3-course release (i.e. he will be teaching one course per semester).
https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1177604972095 (search keyword for "first year")
http://sonoma.edu/ge_initiative/pdf/fye_pilot_coordinator_pa.pdf (this one looks promising)
Possible job duties:
- create/distribute materials (i.e. website for FY students)
- assist in peer mentoring coordination
- provide vision and leadership for ongoing design, implementation, and advocacy of the program's curriculum and pedagogy
- identify and support through faculty development of full-time and adjunct faculty to teach the sections
- collaborate with Student Affairs staff and others to provide a comprehensive, integrated approach to students’ first-year studies
- assess student learning and programmatic impact.