Owner: Daryle Brown
- Familiarize students with co-curricular activities as part of the university experience.
- Increase student retention through involvement in co-curricular activities.
- Foster the development of organizational and social skills.
- Provide opportunity to meet other students, participate in a social community, and feel more connected to the university.
The assignment should count for a minimum of 5% of the students' final grade. May be incorporated into other FYE elements.
Students are required to attend (as a participant or observer) at least 2 co-curricular activities in the course, as deemed appropriate by the instructor, and to provide some analysis or critique of the event, such as:
- Write a one-page response paper including the relevance to the course or the "well-rounded collegiate experience".
- Provide feedback on how the event changed/added to previous knowledge or beliefs.
- Reflect (in either formal or informal writing) how the event fit into the academic/work/social schedule.
Faculty may wish to use traditional grading for this element, or count it as class participation.